A Deeper Understanding Through Literature

I never knew what a key and revolutionary figure Wole Soyinka has been in Nigeria until I watched the documentary in class. In the documentary, many Nigerian revolutionary figures were mentioned that I had never learned at school. I like to think that I have a pretty good perspective on past world events and history, but this documentary made me realize that I do not have a deep understanding of the world events that have occurred. I had only learned specifically of English colonialism and the effects, but have never learned (in depth) about the cultures, and what exactly happened before the colonialism in the country that was colonized. I know how English colonialism impacted Nigeria on a religious, economic, political, and social scale, but I do not have an emotional understanding of the colonialism, nor do I know specific historical figures. I think that the history courses I have taken do not focus on the deeper understanding that I have found through my English classes and reading more literature.

Comments

  1. I agree! I wish I knew more about the world outside of Europe and America. I feel like I am missing a huge perspective, and therefore cannot get the most out of novels from other continents. I wish we at least had AP World at Severn! I have only learned history as a reaction to or as it affects Europeans or people of European decent. I can't wait to take more history classes in college.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clarissa: A Peculiar Protagonist

Elesin in Death and the King's Horseman

Prospera vs. Prospero